World Most Polluted City List 2022 – Latest Updated List, Delhi Top – India’s capital Delhi and Kolkata are also among the most polluted cities in the world. According to the list released by the Health Effects Institute, Delhi and Kolkata are the most polluted cities in India in terms of average annual PM2.5. Delhi was at number one in the list, while Kolkata was at number two. Mumbai was ranked 14th in this list. Apart from these three cities, there is not a single city in India in the top 20. For this research, 7000 cities of the world were included, out of which 103 cities are the most polluted.
Among the top 10 cities that are the most polluted, Delhi was ranked first, followed by Kolkata. Nigeria’s City Kano is at number three, Peru’s Lima at number four, Bangladesh’s capital Dhaka at number five, Indonesia’s city Jakarta at number six, Indonesia’s city Lagos at number seven, Pakistan’s city Karachi at number eight, Chinese city Beijing at number nine and Ghana’s city Akkara at number 10.
World Most Polluted City List 2022 – Latest Updated List, Delhi Top
|Rank||City Name||Country||PM2.5 (µg/m3)|
Republic of the Congo
- Download PDF of “the State of Global Air (SoGA)” report on World Air Quality i.e. A State of Global Air Report 2022 from website – www.stateofglobalair.org
Pollution Criteria :
A large number of global cities around the world have exceeded the World Health Organization’s (WHO) criteria of both PM 2.5 and NO2. The report found Delhi’s average PM at 2.5,110 micrograms per cubic metre in 2019. The WHO standard in this case is 5 micrograms per cubic meter.
- Accordingly, Delhi’s PM was 110 Micrograms, 22 times more.
- WHO Standard Is 5 Micrograms.
- In Kolkata, it was 84 micrograms per cubic metre.
- There were no Indian cities in the top 20 in terms of NO2 exposure in 2019.
- Shanghai, Moscow and Tehran are among the top three cities on the list.
- The average NO2 exposure in Shanghai was 41.6 micrograms per cubic meter.
- The WHO standard for NO2 exposure is 10 micrograms per cubic meter.
How Many People Are Affected By Air Pollution In World ?
- About 2.6 billion people were affected by air pollution in 2019, the report said.
- According to the report, PM 2.5 was blamed for 29900 deaths in Delhi in 2019.
- At the same time, 21380 deaths were reported in Kolkata and 16,020 in Mumbai.
- In comparison, Beijing had seen 26,270 deaths due to PM2.5 exposure.