SSC Stenographer Study Material PDF 2021 Download | Syllabus | Books – Notification for SSC Stenographer is going to be announced . Online Exam for Multitasking Staff is conducted by SSC. The exam is conducted for selecting an appropriate candidate for the Non-ministerial posts of General Central Service Group ‘C’ Non-Gazetted in various ministries/ offices/ departments of central government. Posts are for different states and union territories. Candidates must go through SSC Stenographer Study Material and practice as much as can.
SSC Stenographer Study Material PDF 2021 Download | Syllabus | Books
|Examination Name||Staff Selection Commission Stenographer|
|Organisation Name||Staff Selection Commission (SSC)|
|Posts Offered||Grade C & D Stenographers|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 board from a recognized board/institute|
|Exam Level||National Level|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Mode of Examination||Offline (Written Test), Skill test|
|Examination Fee||100 for male candidates only (unreserved category)|
SSC Stenographer Eligibility Criteria
The candidates must follow the eligibility criteria of Age, Educational Qualification, and Reservations mentioned below in order to successfully apply for SSC Stenographer exam .
The candidates applying for SSC Stenographer 2020 exam should also fulfill the eligibility criteria for nationality. The eligibility criteria is mentioned below:
- The candidate should be an Indian Citizen or
- The candidate should be a citizen of Nepal/Bhutan or
- The candidate should be a tibetian refugee who had come over to india before 1 January 1962 or
- The candidate should be an Indian origin migrated from Pakistan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia, and Vietnam etc having the intention to permanently settle in India.
- The minimum Educational Qualification required by a candidate is to be at least 12th pass from a recognized Board or University.
- He/She must be able to produce the required documents when asked for verification after qualifying SSC Stenographer Exam.
- For the Grade C exam, the age of the eligible candidates should lie between the range of 18-30 years.
- For the Grade D exam, the age of the eligible candidates should lie between the range of 18- 27 years.
- For reserved category candidates, the age relaxation will be entertained in the upper age limit for some cases as mentioned below:
|Category||Upper Age Limit/Age Relaxation|
|Defense Personnel disabled in operation during hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area and released as a consequence thereof||3 years|
|Defense Personnel disabled in operation during hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area and released as a consequence thereof (SC/ ST)||8 years|
|PwD (unreserved)||10 years|
|PwD (OBC)||13 years|
|PWD (SC/ST)||15 years|
|Widows/ Divorced Women/ Women judicially separated and who are not remarried.||35 years|
|Widows/ Divorced Women/ Women judicially separated and who are not remarried (SC/ ST )||40 years|
|Central Govt. Civilian Employees: Who have rendered not less than 3 years regular and continuous service as on closing date for receipt of online applications.||40 years|
|Central Govt. Civilian Employees: Who have rendered not less than 3 years regular and continuous service as on closing date for receipt of online applications. (SC/ ST)||45 years|
|General Category (Male)||INR 100|
|OBC Category (Male)||INR 100|
|EWS Category (Male)||INR 100|
|SC/ ST/ PwD/ Ex-servicemen (Male)||No Application Fee|
|Female candidates||No Application Fee|
Mode of Payment
The SSC Stenographer application fee can be payable in both the modes i.e. online as well as offline.
- Online Mode: Now for online payment, select any payment gateway among Debit Card/ Credit Card/Net banking/ BHIM UPI. After choosing the desired option, enter the required payment details and continue to pay.
- Offline Mode: For the offline payment option, candidates will have to download an e-challan before the mentioned last date. Now submit the application fee in cash to the nearest branch of SBI Bank along with e-challan.
SSC Stenographer Selection Process
SSC Steno Computer Based Test:
The Computer Based Test will comprise questions from General Intelligence & Reasoning, General Awareness, and English Language & Comprehension. The CBT or Computer Based Test will be conducted for a total of 200 marks. The examination pattern of the Computer Based Test will be as given below.
- The CBT will contain Objective type questions only.
- The Question paper will be Bilingual which means in both Hindi and English.
- 0.25 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer given by the candidate.
- The marks that the candidates secure in the Computer Based Examination will be normalized by using the prescribed formula.
- The final merit and cut-off marks will be determined by the normalized scores.
- The Tentative Answer Keys for the Computer Based Test will be available on the official website after the examination has been completed.
- There will be no provision of rechecking of the papers.
- Candidates will have to clear the Computer Based Test to be eligible for the Skill Test.
SSC Stenographer Skill Test
Candidates who are selected in the CBT will be going through a skill test. The skill test will be bilingual. The candidates will be given one dictation for 10 minutes in their chosen language at the speed of 100 words per minute for the post of Stenographer Grade C and 80 words per minute for candidates who have applied for the post of Stenographer Grade D. The transcription of the given matter will have to be done on the computer. The time that will be given for transcription is as given below:
- Candidates taking the test in Hindi will have to learn English Stenography and vice versa after being appointed for the posts. Candidates who fail to do so may not clear their probation. Candidates will need to work as English/ Hindi stenographers according to the functional requirement of the User Office no matter what the medium of Skill Test of candidate during the examination.
- Every detailed instruction regarding Skill Test will be provided by the concerned Regional Offices of the Commission to the candidates called for the Skill Test.
- Standard instructions about the modality of evaluation of Skill Test is given at the Candidate’s Corner Section on the Commission’s website.
- Candidates selected in the Skill Test will then have to go through the Document Verification process.
- The Skill Test in qualifying in nature.
SSC Stenographer Document Verification (DV)
- Candidates who are selected forth Document Verification Process have to submit a set of documents along with their photocopies as prescribed in the official notice.
- Specific choices for different posts and departments will be taken from applicants either online or at the time of document verification . For a Ministry/ Organisation/ Department , an applicant will not be considered if he / she has not mentioned his / her preference for it. The confirmed options at the time of the document verification will be considered as final and shall not be modified in any specific conditions. Candidates must also be vigilant when exercising these choices.
- Candidates can note that when providing on-line or paper verification preferences to posts / departments, the Organizations of Border Roads (OBCs) are subject to specific physical requirements, physical tests and medical standards. Before giving their preferences / options, candidates must verify that they satisfy all the required BRO criteria. After a final selection and appointment of BRO applicants, measurement of physical standards and physical and medical tests will be carried out by the BRO.
- Candidates have to carry 2 passport size photographs along with a valid photo ID proof along with them during the Document Verification process. Any one of the following may be considered as valid photo ID:
- Aadhaar Card/ Printout of E-Aadhaar
- Voter ID Card
- PAN Card
- Driving License
- Government School/ College ID Card
- Employer ID (Govt./ PSU)
- Ex-serviceman Discharge Book issued by Ministry of Defence
- Any other ID Card issued by Central/ State Govt bearing your photo.
The documents that have to be submitted along with their photocopies are given below:
- Matriculation/ Secondary Certificate.
- Educational Qualification Certificate.
- Caste/ Category Certificate, if belongs to reserved categories.
- Order / letter with regard to the equivalent Educational Qualifications, showing the Authority along with the number and date by which the Educational Qualifications were treated, with regard to the equivalent provision in the Essential Qualifications, if, in compliance with the condition of the Notice of Examination, an applicant claims a specific qualification as an equivalent qualification.
- Candidates belonging to the PwD category must submit the Persons with Disabilities Certificate in the required format.
- For Ex-Servicemen- Serving Defence Personnel Certificate as mentioned in the official notice, if applicable, undertaking as prescribed in the notification and Discharge Certificate, if discharged from the Armed Forces.
- Relevant Certificate if seeking any age relaxation.
- Candidates already employed in Government/ Government undertakings must submit a No Objection Certificate.
- Prescribed Certificate by the Central Government Civilian Employees.
As per the SSC Notification, SSC Stenographer 2022 Pay Scale for Garde C and Grade D are as follows:
- Grade C: INR 9300 – INR 34800.
- Grade D: INR 5200- INR 20200.
|Specifications||Grade C (In Rs)||Grade D (In Rs)|
|Pay Band||4,200 or 4,600 (Pay Grade 2)||2,400 (Pay grade 1)|
Along with the basic salary the following allowances are given to the Stenographers:
- House Rent Allowance (HRA)
- Transport Allowance (TA)
- Dearness Allowance (DA)
|Specifications||Grade C (In Rs)||Grade D (In Rs)|
|Pay Band||4,200 or 4,600 (Pay Grade 2)||2,400 (Pay grade 1)|
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern
Candidates preparing for the Stenographer exam must be well versed with the latest SSC Stenographer exam pattern. The exam pattern of the Stenographer is determined by the Staff Selection Commission itself.
The SSC Stenographer selection process comprises two stages:
- Computer-Based Examination
- Skill test in Stenography
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern For Computer-Based Examination
- Tier I is an Online Computer Based Test consisting of 200 questions
- The topics for the exam are General Awareness, General Intelligence & Reasoning, and English Language.
- The total marks allotted is 200.
- Each correct answer fetches you +1 while a wrong answer leads to a deduction of -0.25
- No marks awarded/deducted for unattempted questions.
- The duration for the exam is 2 hrs.
- 40 mins extra will be given to the Candidates with a scribe i.e In case of candidates with benchmark disabilities in the category of blindness, locomotor disability, the candidate will be allowed a scribe either of his choice or the facility of scribe provided by the commission.
|Sections||No. of questions||Total Marks||Time Allotted|
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||50||50||–|
|English Language & Comprehension||100||100||–|
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern For Skill test in Stenography
All those candidates who clear the computer-based exam have to appear for the skill test in stenography. The skill test is basically conducted to test the speed of candidates.
- SSC Stenographer Skill Test is done on both Paper and Computer.
- The shorthand test will have to be done on the Shorthand Notepad and the same has to be transcribed on a computer.
- The skill test language can be either English or Hindi.
- The language of the skill test has to be chosen by the candidates while filling up the form only.
- But if the candidate does not choose any language, then the skill test will be done in English only.
The Dictation for the candidates will be as per following speeds:
|Grade/Post||Speed (words per minute)||Duration|
|Stenographer Grade ‘C’||100 w.p.m||10 mins|
|Stenographer Grade ‘D’||80 w.p.m||10 mins|
After taking the notes on the paper the candidates will then have to transcribe the passage on the computer. The time allotted for transcribing is given in the table below
|Post||Language||Time Duration||Time for (Candidates With a scribe)|
|Stenographer Grade ‘C’||English||40||55|
|Stenographer Grade ‘C’||Hindi||55||75|
|Stenographer Grade ‘D’||English||50||70|
|Stenographer Grade ‘D’||Hindi||65||90|
Marking Scheme For SSC Stenographer Exam
- The total time is given for stage 1 (online exam) is of 120 minutes.
- The total no. of questions for stage 1 (online exam) is 200.
- The maximum marks for stage 1 (online exam) are 200.
- +1 mark will be rewarded for every right answer.
- 0.25 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer.
- For unattempted questions, no mark will be deducted or rewarded.
- For the use of every wrong word, there will be a negative marking in stage 2 (Shorthand Skill Test).
Qualifying Criteria For SSC Stenographer
- Candidates have to secure the more than minimum marks required to qualify for the written test.
- After qualifying for the first stage of the written test, candidates will be shortlisted for the second stage for the shorthand skill test which is qualifying nature.
- The final merit list for the selection of candidates will be prepared based on the marks obtained in the written test.
- The merit list for the selection of Grade C and Grade D will be different.
SSC Stenographer Exam Syllabus | SSC Stenographer Study Material PDF
The exam syllabus of stage 1 of the SSC Stenographer exam is given below:
General Intelligence & Reasoning:
- similarities and differences
- discriminating observation
- decision making
- verbal and figure classification
- space visualization
- visual memory
- arithmetical number series
- arithmetical reasoning
- non-verbal series etc.
- India and its neighboring countries
- Daily observations and experiments
- National sports
- General polity
English Language & Comprehension:
- Sentence structure
- Writing Ability
- Understanding of English Language
SSC Stenographer Books | SSC Stenographer Study Material PDF
|Subject||Book Name & Author Name|
|Books For General Awareness||
|Books For General Intelligence & Reasoning||
|Books for English Language & Comprehension||
List of SSC Stenographer Examination Centres 2021
|Agra (3001)||Allahabad (3003)||Kanpur (3009)|
|Lucknow (3010)||Varanasi (3013)||Bhagalpur|
|Gangtok (4001)||Ranchi(4205)||Jalpaiguri (4408)|
|Sambalpur (4609)||Port Blair (4802)||Surat(7007)|
|Srinagar(2004) (Uttarakhand)||Madurai (8204)||Visakhapatnam (8007)|
|Bhatinda (1401)||Kozhikode (Calicut) (9206)||Ajmer(2401)|
|Raipur (6204)||Dharwad (9004)||Sriganganagar(2408)|
|Mangaluru (9008)||Udaipur(2409)||Bilaspur (6202)|
|Kolkata (4410)||Bhubaneshwar (4604)||Dehradun(2002)|
SSC Stenographer Admit Card 2021 : SSC Stenographer Study Material PDF
The admit card of the SSC Stenographer 2021 exam will be issued on the official website. The date of issue of the hall ticket will be updated in the official notification by the authorities. The exam conducting is not responsible to send the admit card to all the registered candidates of SSC Stenographer .
Steps to Download the Admit Card of SSC Stenographer
- Visit the official website of SSC Stenographer
- Choose the link to the SSC Stenographer group for which you have applied
- Enter the registered login ID and password
- Now click on the link to download the SSC Stenographer admit card
- Download the admit card and check all the necessary details as the date of birth, name, gender, roll number, exam date, time, sign, exam center, candidate’s category, etc.
- Now, take out the print to carry at the exam center of SSC Stenographer . (A valid Id card is mandatory for all the candidates to carry at the exam center along with the admit card of SSC Stenographer 2021)
SSC Stenographer Result 2021 : SSC Stenographer Study Material PDF
The authorities will issue the result of the SSC Stenographer exam on the official website separately for all the groups. To check and download the result of SSC Stenographer candidates can follow the steps provided below:
- Visit the official website of SSC Stenographer
- Select the result notification from the notification section
- Click on the SSC Stenographer result notification
- Now, select and open the PDF of your group
- Enter the registration number in the search bar to check your score on the SSC Stenographer exam
- Download and save a copy of the PDF for future reference.
How to Calculate your SSC Stenographer CBT marks?
The Candidates must be aware of the process on how to calculate the marks from the answer key and compare it with their cutoff to have a better understanding of their chances of selection.
- The total number of questions asked in the Computer based online test (CBT) is 200 for 200 marks
- The total marks for each correct answer is 1.
- 0.25 negative marks for an incorrect answer
- Total number of marks = 1*Total number of correct answers – 0.25*Total number of incorrect answers.
SSC Stenographer Cut Off
The SSC Stenographer Cut Off 2021 is released by the SSC Stenographer after the preliminary exam has been conducted. The SSC Stenographer Cut Off changes each year depending on a variety of factors. These factors include:
- The first factor that plays a large role in finalising the official cutoffs is the number of vacancies available for the post.
- The total number of candidates appearing for the exam are also considered while setting the cutoffs. This ratio plays a large role in finalising the qualifying marks.
- The difficulty level of the exam in the recruitment stage is a major factor that determines the official cut off stats.
- Previous Year cut off trends are also taken in account for the consideration of the final cut off marks.
SSC Stenographer Previous Cut Off
List I: Candidates qualified for Skill Test (Stenographer Grade ‘C’)
List II: Candidates qualified for Skill Test (Stenographer Grade ‘D’)
SSC Stenographer FAQs : SSC Stenographer Study Material PDF
|Q. What is the work of SSC Stenographer?
Q. How to fill the SSC Stenographer application form 2020-21?
Q. What are the SSC Stenographer application fees?
Q. What is the maximum number of marks in the SSC Stenographer exam?
Q. How many questions will be there in Tier 1 or Stage 1 of the SSC Stenographer exam?
Q. What are the criteria for the final selection?
Q. Is the SSC Stenographer Skill Test qualifying in nature?
You can also check the Study Material of other SSC Exam in India here
|SSC MTS Study Material PDF|