List of Supported 5G Bands in India – Reliance Jio, Airtel, Idea-Vodafone, and the new entrant, Adani Data Networks – are aggressively participating in the 5G bid. Ashwini Vaishnaw, minister for electronics and IT in India, said bids worth Rs 1.49 lakh have been received so far. While spectrum bidding and allocation is underway, let’s know about the 5G band supported in India. This will help you understand whether your 5G smartphone will be compatible with the 5G band in India. On that note, let’s get started.
India began auctioning 5G spectrum on July 26, 2022. The auction concluded on August 1, 2022. The participants were India’s leading telecom operators – Reliance Jio, Airtel, Vi (Vodafone-Idea), and a new player, Adani Data Network. The auction fetched the Government of India a record total of ₹1.5 lakh crore. Jio bought more than half of the bid for over ₹88,000 crore. It was followed by Airtel, which spent over Rs 43,000 crore on bidding.
It appears that telecom operators are interested in low-band 700MHz (n28) and mid-band 3500MHz (n78). The N78 band can offer speeds of up to 1Gbps. Its cost efficiency and worldwide adaptability make it attractive to telecom service providers.
List of Supported 5G Bands in India 2022 : Latest Updated List
The 5G bands supported in India can be classified into three classes based on their frequencies— low-band, mid-band, and high-band mmWave. The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has floated a variety of frequency bands ranging from 600 MHz to up to 26 GHz.
- Low-band frequencies include 600 MHz, 700 MHz, 800 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 2100 MHz, 2300 MHz, and 2500 MHz.
- Mid-band frequency is 3300 MHz.
- High-band frequency of up to 26 GHz, known as mmWave. All telecom operators have acquired all kinds of frequency bands.
|3300 – 3800MHz||n78|
|3300 – 4200MHz||n77|
|4400 – 5000MHz||n79|
|26GHz (24.25 – 27.5 GHz)||n258|
- Poco Android 13 Update List : Supported Devices & Release Date
- Samsung Android 13 Update List – Release Date & Eligible Devices
- Xiaomi Android 13 Update List – Xiaomi Android 13 Eligible Devices
- OPPO Android 13 Update List, Android 13 Eligible Devices List
When will the 5G auction in India end?
- The auction of 2022 5G spectrum in India will continue till August 14.
- After that, spectrum will be allocated to telecom providers for testing and final rollout.
When will 5G arrive in India?
- According to IT Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw, the initial testing of 5G services in India will take place around September or October.
- However, the full rollout of 5G services is expected to begin in early March 2023.
Which are the 5G bands supported in India?
- Some of the 5G bands supported in India are n78, n77, n28 and n41.
- For a complete list, read our article to learn about compatible 5G frequencies and bands in the country.
Is MmWave 5G coming to India?
- Yes, the Government of India is auctioning spectrum for the 26GHz (n258) frequency band, which offers unique speed and almost zero latency.
- Both Jio and Adani Data Network have shown keen interest in buying top-tier spectrum.