List of Major Sea Ports in India 2022 – Latest Updated List – Here is the list of Major Seaports in India. Currently as per official site we have 12 major ports and 200 minor ports In India . This 12 major and 200 minor ports situated along the 7516 Km long coastline of India. Here we provide previously asked questions and also add top gk questions on major ports of India. You Can Check Full List Of all Major Ports Given below In Table. List of Acids Present in Fruits And Vegetables – Latest Updated List
List of Major Sea Ports in India 2022 – Latest Updated List
|Sl. No||Port Name||State|
|Ports located on The Eastern Coast of India|
|1||Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port (Kolkata Port)||West Bengal|
|2.||Haldia Port||West Bengal|
|4.||Visakhapatnam Port||Andhra Pradesh|
|5.||Kamarajar Port (Ennore Port)||Tamil Nadu|
|6.||Chennai Port||Tamil Nadu|
|7.||V.O Chidambaranar Port (Tuticorin Port)||Tamil Nadu|
|Ports located on the Western Coast of India|
|9.||New Mangalore Port||Karnataka|
|12.||Jawaharlal Nehru Port (Nhava Sheva)||Maharashtra|
|13.||Deendayal Port (Kandala Port)||Gujarat|
Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port : List of Major Sea Ports in India 2022
- The Kolkata port is officially known as the Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Port.
- It is the only river bank in India located on the left bank of the Hooghly river.
- Kolkata Port handles goods coming from South-East Asian countries, Australia and New Zealand.
- Kolkata port is called the ‘gateway to eastern India’.
- Major export items include jute products, tea, coal, steel, iron ore, copper, leather and leather products etc.
- Major imports mainly include machinery, crude oil, paper, fertilizers and chemical products.
- It has a vast hinterland covering the entire North East of India including West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Assam, North East Hill States and two neighbouring countries, Nepal and Bhutan.
There are two different dock systems in the port _
- Kolkata Dock in Kolkata.
- It has deep water dock complex in Haldia Dock Complex.
Haldia Dock Complex : List of Major Sea Ports in India 2022
- Haldia port Built at the confluence of rivers Hoogly and Haldi.
- Its main purpose is to release congestion at Kolkata port.
- The main items of trade are mineral oil and petroleum products.
Paradip Port :
- Paradip port is founded by Late Biju Patnaik, the then Chief Minister of Odisha.
- Paradip Port is the sole Principal Port in the State of Odisha.
- It is a natural, deep-water port located on the eastern coast of India, Jagatsinghpur district of Odisha.
- On 1stJune, 1965 , Government of India acquired the management of the Port of the Government of Odisha on 1st June 1965.
- On 18th April 1966, It was declared the 8th major port of India by the government of India.
- It has a vast hinterland, it covers the states of Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal.
- Paradip Port has the advantages of soft underwater soil, that is why it can be operated at any depth by cut out the soft soil easily according to need.
Visakhapatnam Port :
- Visakhapatnam Port is the largest port on the eastern coast of India, Andhra Pradesh.
- By volume of cargo handled, It is India’s third largest state-owned port and the largest in the Eastern Coast.
- Visakhapatnam port was an ancient Port city which had trade relations with the Middle East and Rome.
Kamarajar Port : List of Major Sea Ports in India 2022
- It is formerly known as Ennore Port.
- Kamarajar Port located on the Coromandel Coast, Chennai
- Kamarajar Port is the 12th major port of India.
- It is the first public company port in India.
Chennai Port : List of Major Sea Ports in India 2022
- Chennai Port is the third oldest key port among the 12 major ports in India.
- Earlier the Chennai Port was known as Madras Port.
- After Mumbai’s Nhava Sheva port, It is the second largest container port of India.
- It is an all-weather artificial port with wet docks.
Deendayal Port :
- Formerly known as Kandala Port.
- Deendayal is a seaport located on the Gulf of Kutch, Kutch district , Gujarat.
- The Kandla Port was built in the 1950.
- First export processing port in India.
- It is a natural harbour in Kandala creek.
- Kandla port built for serving Western India, due to the partition of India leaving the port of Karachi in Pakistan.
- The first special economic zone to be established in India and in Asia is the Kandla port Special Economic Zone (KASEZ).
- Kandla port is the first Export Processing region/ Zone in India.
- Hinterland of kandala port covers the maximum portion of Gujarat, Rajasthan, Haryana, Punjab, Delhi, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu Kashmir, Uttarakhand and Ladakh.
- Major imported products from Kandla Port are petroleum, chemical substances, and iron and steel and iron machinery, but it also handles salt, textiles, and grain.
Jawaharlal Nehru Port :
- Jawaharlal Nehru Port is formerly known as Nhava Sheva port.
- This new port has been built on an island named Nhava Sheva across the famous Elephanta caves.
- The main purpose of this port is to release pressure on the Mumbai Port.
- Nhava Sheva Port is considered as the largest container port in India.
Mumbai Port :
- Mumbai port is a Natural harbour on the West Coast of India.
- It is considered as the biggest port of India.
- It handles foreign trade with the Western countries and East African countries.
- It has a vast hinterland covering the whole of Maharashtra and large parts of Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Delhi.
Marmagoo Port :
- With the rise of iron ore mining as a major industry in Goa, a master plan was prepared by the Portuguese to develop Mormugao port as an iron ore terminal.
- Port located at the entrance of the Zuwari estuary.
- The major items of export are iron ore, manganese, coconut and cotton.
- It has a comparatively smaller hinterland that covers the whole of Goa and parts of north Karnataka and southern Maharashtra.
- This port is well connected through Konkan Railway.
New Mangalore Port :
- New Mangalore port is the only major port in the states of Karnataka.
- It was declared as the 9th major port on May 4, 1974.
- Major commodities imported through port are cement, coal, fertilizers, edible oils, liquid chemicals, containerized cargo etc.
- The interior of The New Mangalore Port is located in the northern part of Karnataka and Kerala.
- Its main importance is in the export of iron ore from Kudremyakh mines.