List of Districts in Punjab 2022 – New Districts Latest Updated List – Punjab, the state of India, is located in the north-western part of the subcontinent. It is surrounded by the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir in the north, the state of Himachal Pradesh in the north-east, the state of Haryana in the south and south-east and the state of Rajasthan in the southwest and the country of Pakistan in the west. Punjab, in its present form, came into existence on November 1, 1966, when its predominantly Hindi-speaking areas were separated to form a new state of Haryana. Chandigarh city within the Union Territory is the joint capital of Punjab and Haryana.
The modern Indian Punjab came into existence on 31 October 1966 when Himachal Pradesh and Haryana were carved out. In the late 15th century, Guru Nanak Dev laid the foundation of Sikhism in Punjab. Punjab is the largest state of the Sikh population.
List of Districts in Punjab 2022 – New Districts Latest Updated List
|No.||Name of District||Area (sq km)||Population||Name of Head Quarters|
|5||Fatehgarh Sahib||1,180||599,814||Fatehgarh Sahib|
|15||Sri Muktsar Sahib||2,615||902,702||Sri Muktsar Sahib|
|19||Sahibzada Ajit Singh Nagar||1,093||986,147||Mohali|
|21||Shahid Bhagat Singh Nagar||1,267||614,362||Nawanshahr|
|22||Taran Taran||2,449||1,120,070||Taran Taran Sahib|
Key Facts About Punjab :
- The area of Punjab is 50,362 sq. km. It is the 20th largest state in India as per the area.
- Its population is about 27 million.
- It Is The 16th largest state as per population in the country.
- In the city of Amritsar, the Golden Temple or Shri Harmandir Sahib is located which is considered the holiest and most important pilgrimage site of Sikhism.
- The temple was designed by the fifth Guru Arjan Dev.
- The Gold was installed above the Gurudwara by Raja Ranjit Singh.
- Punjab is very famous for its folk dances such as Bhangra, Gidddha, Jhumar, Mirza, Jugni, Dhamaal, Gatka, etc.
There are five Takht (meaning Seat of Authority) in Sikhism. Out of five, three are in Punjab:
- Akal Takht in the Golden Temple Complex
- Takht Sri Damdama Sahib in Bhatinda
- Takht Sri Keshgarh Sahib in Anandpur Sahib.
- Two other are Takht Sri Patna Sahib in Patna, Bihar
- Takht Sri Hazur Sahib, Nanded, Maharashtra.