List Of All 28 States of India With Capital, Languages 2022 – Latest List Of All States And Their Capital, Official Languages For Upcoming Exams. At present there are a total of 28 states and 8 Union Territories in India. Every state in India has an administrative, legislative and judicial capital, some states all three functions are held in one capital. Every state is ruled by a chief minister. Here we have covered the list of Indian states, Union Territories and their capitals. Out of all the states, three states i.e. Himachal Pradesh, Maharashtra and Uttarakhand have separate capitals for their summer and winter sessions of the Assembly.
State Reorganization Act 1956 :
- The States Reorganisation Act, enacted in 1956, was a major force in reorganising the margins of Indian states on semantic grounds.
- Later, according to an amendment to the Indian Constitution, three types of states, known as Part A States, Part B States and Part C States, were transformed into one type of State.
- India, a union of states, is a sovereign, secular, democratic, republic with a parliamentary system of government.
- The President is the constitutional head of the Executive of the Union.
- The Governor in the State, as the representative of the President, is the head of the Executive.
- There are 28 states and 8 union territories in the country. Below is a list of 28 states of India.
- Medical Colleges List In India 2022 | NEET Medical College Rankings List
List Of All 28 States of India With Capital, Languages 2022 – Latest List
|States Name||Capital||Founded on||Official Languages|
|Andhra Pradesh||Amaravati||1 Nov. 1956||Telugu|
|Arunachal Pradesh||Itanagar||20 Feb. 1987||English|
|Assam||Dispur||26 Jan. 1950||Assamese|
|Bihar||Patna||22 Mar. 1912||Hindi|
|Chhattisgarh||Raipur||1 Nov. 2000||Chhattisgarhi|
|Goa||Panaji||30 May. 1987||Konkani|
|Gujarat||Gandhinagar||1 May. 1960||Gujarati|
|Haryana||Chandigarh||1 Nov. 1966||Hindi|
|Himachal Pradesh||Shimla||25 Jan. 1971||Hindi|
|Jharkhand||Ranchi||15 Nov. 2000||Hindi|
|Karnataka||Bengaluru||1 Nov. 1956||Kannada|
|Kerala||Thiruvananthapuram||1 Nov. 1956||Malayalam|
|Madhya Pradesh||Bhopal||1 Nov. 1956||Hindi|
|Maharashtra||Mumbai||1 May. 1960||Marathi|
|Manipur||Imphal||21 Jan. 1972||Meiteilon (Manipuri)|
|Meghalaya||Shillong||21 Jan. 1972||Garo, Khasi, Pnar & English|
|Mizoram||Aizawl||20 Feb. 1987||Mizo|
|Nagaland||Kohima||1 Dec. 1963||English|
|Odisha||Bhubaneswar||26 Jan. 1950||Odia|
|Punjab||Chandigarh||1 Nov. 1966||Punjabi|
|Rajasthan||Jaipur||1 Nov. 1956||Hindi|
|Sikkim||Gangtok||16 May. 1975||Nepali|
|Tamil Nadu||Chennai||26 Jan. 1950||Tamil|
|Telangana||Hyderabad||2 Jun. 2014||Telugu|
|Tripura||Agartala||21 Jan. 1972||Bengali & Kokborok|
|Uttar Pradesh||Lucknow||26 Jan. 1950||Hindi|
|Uttarakhand||Dehradun||9 Nov. 2000||Hindi|
|West Bengal||Kolkata||1 Nov. 1956||Bengali|
List of Union Territories of India
|No.||Union Territories Of India||Capital|
|1||Andaman and Nicobar Islands||Port Blair|
|3||Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu||Daman|
|5||Jammu and Kashmir||Srinagar|
Understanding States and Capitals & Union Territories :
|States of India||Union Territories|
|States are defined as administrative units with a democratically elected government.||The Union governs a small administrative unit known as Union Territory.|
|Administered by the State Legislature: Governor, Chief Minister & Council of Ministers||Administered by the Central Government through Lieutenant Governors & Administrators.|
|Relation with Centre is Federal in character||Relation with Centre is Unitary in character|
|Chief Minister is the executive head||Lieutenant is the executive head|
FAQ’S On 28 States and Capitals of India :
1. How many States are there in India?
- There are 28 States in India at present, 2021.
2. How many Union Territories are there in India?
- There are 8 Union Territories in India at present, 2021.
3. What are the lastest updates on the Union Territories of India?
- Daman & Diu got merged with Dadar & Nagar Haveli in 2020
- Jammu & Kashmir, and Ladakh became two new Union Territories of India in 2019
4. What is the capital of India?
- New Delhi is the national capital of India.
5. Which is the smallest Indian state by area?
- Goa is the smallest smallest state in India by area.
6. Which is the smallest Union Territory of India?
- Lakshwadeep is the smallest Union Territory of India.