Essential Medicine List India 2022 – New Added & Dropped List – The Central government removed the popular antacid salts Ranitidine and White Petrolatum from the national list of essential medicines. Apart from 34 drugs, a total of 384 drugs have been included in the list, while 26 have been removed from the previous list. The drugs are classified into 27 therapeutic categories.
The National List of Essential Medicines was first prepared in 1996 and was first revised thrice in 2003, 2011 and 2015.
New National List of Essential Medicines (NLEM), which contains 384 drugs. Meanwhile, 26 medicines removed from the list will cease to exist in the country. New National List of Essential Medicines (NLEM) List Pdf.
Essential Medicine List India 2022 Dropped List :
The 26 excluded medicines include: FATF Grey List Countries 2022 – FATF BlackList Countries List
- Bleaching Powder
- Diloxanide furoate
- Ethinylestradiol(A) Norethisterone (B)
- Lamivudine (A) + Nevirapine (B) + Stavudine (C)
- Pegylated interferon alfa 2a, Pegylated interferon alfa 2b
- Prilocaine (A) + Lignocaine (B)
- Stavudine (A) + Lamivudine (B)
- White Petrolatum
The following criteria are followed for inclusion in NLEM:
- Be useful for diseases which are a public health problem in India.
- Be licensed/ approved Drugs Controller General (India) (DCGI).
- Have proven efficacy and safety profile based on scientific evidence.
- Be comparatively cost effective.
- Be aligned with the current treatment guidelines.
- Recommended under National Health Programs of India. (Example: Ivermectin, part of Accelerated Plan for Elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis 2018).
- When more than one medicine is available from the same therapeutic class, one prototype/ medically best suited medicine of that class is included.
- The price of total treatment is considered and not the unit price of a medicine.
- The Fixed dose combinations are usually not included.
- The Vaccines as and when are included in the Universal Immunization Program (example: Rotavirus vaccine).
List of Medicines added to NLEM 2022
For anti-cancer drugs, affordability is an issue. NPPA has already fixed prices of 42 non-NLEM drugs by the Trade Margin Rationalisation (TMR) method. Out of the 42 non-NLEM TMR drugs, four have been added to the NLEM list.
List of Medicines added to NLEM 2022
- Bendamustine Hydrochloride
- Buprenorphine (A) + Naloxone (B)
- Darunavir (A) + Ritonavir (B)
- Insulin Glargine
- Irinotecan HCI Trihydrate
- Leuprolide acetate
- Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT)
- Ormeloxifene (Centchroman)
- Phenoxymethyl penicillin
- Procaine Benzyl penicillin
- Rotavirus vaccine
- Tenofovir (A) + Lamivudine (B) + Dolutegravir (C)
- Tenofovir Alafenamide Fumarate (TAF)
|Download Official List Of all Medicines Revised On 13 September 2022||Click Here|
What is the National List of Essential Medicines?
The National Pharmaceuticals Pricing Authority (NPPA) — a government regulatory agency that regulates prices of drugs in India — comes out with a list every three years. Through the National List of Essential Medicines or NLEM, the regulator fixes a cap on the prices of essential medicines so that they are affordable and widely available to all.
When was NLEM first released in India?
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare issued the first NLEM in 1996. There were 279 drugs. The revised list came later in 2003 which had 354 drugs. In 2011, the list was revised again and contained 348 drugs. The last time the list was revised in 2015, it had 851 drugs. It was decided that it would be revised every three years.
- The government came out with a new list On 13 Septmber 2022.
- It added 34 and removed 26 drugs from NLEM.
- The list includes several antibiotics, anti-diabetes and anti-infectives.
When is a medicine dropped from NLEM?
- If a drug is banned in India, it is removed from the list.
- Also, it is removed when there are reports of concern about drug safety.
- If a better, more cost-effective drug is available in the market, it can be turned into a list.
- Another criterion of deletion is the change in the disease load of the country.
Latest Updates : Coronary Stents in Essential Medicine List :
Coronary Stents in Essential Medicine List In India Now. Now It Will Get Cheaper For Patients. The National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) will now fix the price of coronary stents.