Computer Virus And Other Security Threats For Computer – A computer threat is a potential threat that can break security by taking advantage of a vulnerability and cause too much damage. This leads to loss of data or our hardware is physically damaged. The first step to protect the computer system from security threats is to identify the threats. A security threat is a type of risk that can harm a computer system or organization. In this, the data of our system can be stolen or our computer system can be damaged by attacking the virus.
There Are Two Types Of Threats For Computer :
- Non-Physical threats
- Physical threats
Computer Virus :
- A computer virus is a malware program which when executed, replicates itself into computer programs, data files, or the boot sector of the hard drive. The affected areas by a virus are said to be “infected”. Windows 11 Download Free ISO File 32, 64 Bit | Microsoft Window 11 ISO
- A Virus harms the computer by using hard disk space or CPU time. Viruses also access the private information of the user, corrupts data, spamming their contacts, or logging their keystrokes. Not all viruses attempt to hide themselves. In simple words, viruses are self-replicating computer programs which install themselves without the user’s knowledge.
Types of Virus-
- Macro Virus– Macro virus harms the documents which use macros such as word processing and excel spreadsheet documents. A macro virus is written in macro language.
- Companion Virus– A virus that creates a new file with same existing filename.
- Virus hoax– A computer virus hoax is a message, can be a false e-mail warning the recipients to forward it to everyone they know.
- Computer prank– It is a prank related to either the software or the hardware of computers.
- WORM– A computer worm is a computer program that replicates itself in order to spread to other computers. It mostly uses a computer network to spread itself. Unlike a computer virus, it does not need to attach itself to an existing program.
- Trojan horse– A Trojan horse is a generally non-self-replicating type of code which when executed, causes loss or theft of data, and possible system harm.
Some of the famous computer virus-
- Elk cloner-1982
- The Morris Internet worm-1988
- I Love You-2000
- Code red-2001
- SQL slammer-2003
- Antivirus software is a computer software used to prevent, detect and remove malicious software from computer. It is also known as Antivirus and anti-malware.
- Antivirus software detects and removes computer viruses from the system. Antivirus software also provides protection from other computer threats as there is rapid increase of other kinds of malwares.
- Now days, an antivirus protects the computer from malicious Browser Helper Objects (BHOs), browser hijackers, ransomware, keyloggers, backdoors, rootkits, trojan horses, worms, malicious LSPs, dialers, fraud tools, adware, and spyware.
Antivirus software uses two techniques to accomplish its task-
- Scanning files to find known viruses matching definitions.
- Identifying any doubtful behaviour from any computer program that might infect the computer.
Other Security Threats-
- Phishing– Phishing is an attempt to acquire sensitive information such as usernames, passwords, and credit card details by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication.
- Spam– Spamming is sending unsolicited messages, especially advertising, as well as sending bulk messages on the same site or through an e-mail.
- Malware– Malware disrupts computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems without the user’s knowledge.
- Adware-It is a software package which automatically starts advertisement.
- Spyware– Spyware is software that gathers information about a person or organization without their knowledge and may send such information to another entity without the user’s knowledge.
- Firewall– A firewall is a network security system which controls the incoming and outgoing network traffic based on a set of rules. A firewall establishes an obstacle between a trusted, secure internal network and another network. Firewalls exist both as a software solution and as a hardware appliance.
What is a computer virus and how does it work?
- A computer virus might corrupt or delete data on your computer, use your email program to spread itself to other computers, or even erase everything on your hard disk. Computer viruses are often spread by attachments in email messages or instant messaging messages.
How does a computer virus spread?
- Computer viruses usually spread in one of three ways: from removable media; from downloads off the Internet; and from e-mail attachments. Although the Internet gets a bad rap as a source of viruses, you’re no more likely to contract a virus from the Web than you are from packaged software.