BRICS Summit 2021 UPSC Highlights Pdf, Host, Theme, Date – The 13th BRICS Summit (BRICS summit), 2021 is scheduled to be held in digital format under the Chairmanship of India. The multilateral group of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa is alternately chaired by all the five member countries. India had earlier presided over it in 2012 and 2016. The group has been successful to a extent but is currently facing many challenges. It is time to identify these challenges and move towards the future.
BRICS Summit 2021 UPSC Highlights Pdf, Host, Theme, Date
Importance of BRICS
Group of five major countries:
- The group was launched in 2006 by a meeting of foreign ministers from Brazil, Russia, India and China (Brazil, Russia, India and China-BRIC) and S from South Africa’s accession in 2010 with political synergy created from regular summits since 2009 (Brazil, converted into Russia, India, China and South Africa-BRICS).
The importance of BRICS is self-evident As it represents
- 42% of the world’s population
- 30% of the land area
- 24% of global GDP
- 16% of international trade.
Evolution of BRICS
- The leaders of BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, and China) countries met for the first time in St. Petersburg, Russia, on the margins of G8 Outreach Summit in July 2006.
- Shortly afterwards, in September 2006, the group was formalised as BRIC during the 1st BRIC Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, which met on the sidelines of the General Debate of the UN Assembly in New York City.
- After a series of high level meetings, the 1st BRIC summit was held in Yekaterinburg, Russia on 16 June 2009.
- BRIC group was renamed as BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) after South Africa was accepted as a full member at the BRIC Foreign Ministers’ meeting in New York in September 2010.
- Accordingly, South Africa attended the 3rd BRICS Summit in Sanya, China on 14 April 2011.
- BRICS is an important grouping bringing together the major emerging economies from the world, comprising 41% of the world population, having 24% of the world GDP* and over 16% share in the world trade.
- BRICS countries have been the main engines of global economic growth over the years.
- Over a period of time, BRICS countries have come together to deliberate on important issues under the three pillars of political and security, economic and financial and cultural and people to people exchanges.
Key Highlights Of 13th Brics Summit 2021
- BRICS @ 15: Intra-BRICS cooperation for continuity, consolidation and consensus’ – Modi said these 4 Cs are basic principles of the Brics partnership.
- We have to ensure that BRICS is more productive in the next 15 years.” – PM Modi
- We have also adopted Brics Counter-Terrorism Action Plan,” said Modi
- Leaders commended the adoption of the revised Terms of Reference for guiding BRICS engagement. Leaders committed to preserving and further strengthening the consensus-based working methods in BRICS.
- Leaders highlighted the need for cooperation on study of origins of the SARS-COV-2 – an important aspect of the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
Called COVID-19 extensive immunization as a global public good.
- Recognised the importance of experience and knowledge-sharing on traditional medicines.
- Leaders acknowledged that continued relevance of the UN system would be determined by its ability to adapt to contemporary realities. They pledged resolve towards strengthening and reforming the multilateral system to make global governance more responsive and agile, effective, transparent, democratic, representative and accountable to Member States.
Leaders endorsed the BRICS Joint Statement on Strengthening and Reforming the Multilateral System adopted by BRICS Foreign Ministers on 1 June 2021. They also agreed on the principles for strengthening and reforming multilateral system.
- They called for reforms of the principal organs of the United Nations including instilling new life in the discussions on reform of the UN Security Council with a view to making it more representative, effective and efficient, and to increase the representation of the developing countries.
- Leaders expressed appreciation of the role of India during its ongoing tenure in the UN Security Council for 2021-2022.
- They welcomed adoption of the BRICS Counter-Terrorism Action Plan for the implementation of the BRICS Counter Terrorism Strategy.
- On Afghanistan, leaders called for refraining from violence and settling the situation by peaceful means in Afghanistan, through an inclusive intra-Afghan dialogue so as to ensure stability, civil peace, law and order in the country. They underscored the priority of fighting terrorism, including preventing attempts by terrorist organisations to use Afghan territory as terrorist sanctuary and to carry out attacks against other countries. They emphasised the need to address the humanitarian situation and to uphold human rights, including those of women, children and minorities.
- Leaders expressed strong condemnation of terrorism in all its forms and manifestations whenever, wherever and by whomsoever committed. They committed to combating terrorism in all its forms and manifestations, including the cross-border movement of terrorists, and terrorism financing networks and safe havens.
- On climate issues, leaders expressed commitment to the full implementation of the UNFCCC, its Kyoto Protocol and Paris Agreement, and to the principles of UNFCCC including ‘Common But Differentiated Responsibilities and Respective Capabilities’ in the light of different national circumstances.
- They welcomed the launch of the BRICS alliance for Green Tourism to promote measures which can shape a more resilient, sustainable and inclusive tourism sector.
Which Country Is BRICS Summit 2021 Host ?
- India Is The host Of BRICS Summit 2021 .